Re: [jetty-dev] latest NPN and start.jar

Hi,

On Fri, Sep 13, 2013 at 2:21 PM, Eirik Bjørsnøs <eirbjo@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> Even without using the Attach API, I'd say using -javaagent is still better
> than -Xbootclasspath. It allows us to move the choice of NPN version to
> runtime, when we actually know what we're running on.
>
> Without an API (or weaving that works) we won't get a future proof solution
> that works behind the firewalls.
>
> Using the agent approach, the message could be
>
>     "make sure you're using the latest available non-boot jar"
>
> instead of the slightly stricter message given today, which is
>
>     "make sure you know exactly which update of the JVM you're using, then
> look up in our documentation which version of NPN-boot you need to go with
> that".
>
> I think the first message is easier to parse and easier to follow.

Absolutely.

The problem with the agent solution is that others may weave the SSL
classes for other reasons (e.g. socket control, etc.) - think of tools
like NewRelic, http://java-monitor.com, or profilers and such.

If we do NPN via weaving, the pointcuts we want to weave may have
changed as a result of someone else's weaving, so we may fail our
weaving.
Likewise, we change the pointcuts and we screw the others.

If we don't do weaving, and we just replace the SSL classes with our
NPN versions, we screw the others that may have woven in changes, that
would be lost.

Sure we can tell that our agent must be the first, but this means
telling users: "read the docs otherwise you screw up".

Current situation is: "read the docs otherwise you screw up" :)

--
Simone Bordet
----

Back to the top