Re: [jetty-dev] setStatus() vs. sendError(), custom error feedback

Greg,

thanks for your feedback. I'll first dump the (expected) error
feedback for a given REST request in our system:

$ curl -i "http://admin:admin@localhost:8984/rest?query=
HTTP/1.1 400 Bad Request
Server: Jetty(6.1.26)

Stopped at line 1, column 1:
[XPST0003] Empty query.

The same request leads to an exception when called from a browser
(Chrome, Opera, etc):

java.lang.IllegalStateException
  at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter$GzipStream.doNotGzip(GzipFilter.java:544)
  at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter$GZIPResponseWrapper.noGzip(GzipFilter.java:372)
  at org.mortbay.servlet.GzipFilter$GZIPResponseWrapper.setStatus(GzipFilter.java:216)
  at org.basex.http.HTTPContext.status(HTTPContext.java:209)
  at org.basex.http.BaseXServlet.service(BaseXServlet.java:43)
  at javax.servlet.http.HttpServlet.service(HttpServlet.java:820)

This is how

a) we currently set up Jetty (the relevant line is currently commented
out in the source code):
  https://github.com/BaseXdb/basex-api/blob/master/src/main/java/org/basex/BaseXHTTP.java#L121

b) we send the status code:
  https://github.com/BaseXdb/basex-api/blob/master/src/main/java/org/basex/http/HTTPContext.java#L201

c) the .setStatus() call is triggered:
  https://github.com/BaseXdb/basex-api/blob/master/src/main/java/org/basex/http/BaseXServlet.java#L27

Do you think there's any clear mistake we've made? I'll be glad to
provide you with for more details,
Christian