[jetty-dev] On Leaving Incubation...

I wanted to send out a mail to the dev list and to our mentors to sort
of bring everyone up to speed on our current reasoning and intentions.

We would like to get out of incubation by early June if possible and I
am working towards taking care of that goal from the eclipse
perspective right now.  I believe I am fairly up on what the
requirements are for getting this done and one of the first steps was
to at least declare interest to the mentors (which we have mentioned
before and I am formally declaring now :).

We have a lot to take care of in a fairly short amount of time so I
mostly wanted to detail out here what I see remaining and then likely
check in and follow up at the end of next week on where we are and
what is left.  I say end of next week as that is when I would like to
get the actual notification out to EMO and see about setting up an
actual review date.  I'll write out a bullet list of things now and
anyone that wants to add to it please feel free to.

* finish up changes for 7.0.0 (configuration mechanism, etc)
* finish up porting documentation from Codehaus Wiki
(http://docs.codehaus.org/display/JETTY/Jetty+Documentation) into
Eclipse Wiki (http://wiki.eclipse.org/Jetty)
* get first cut of at least of the jetty eclipse plugins I worked on a
couple months back into svn and with an initial release
* update the project plan to include more milestones and flesh out the
themes and priorities section
* get others testing the update site for jetty milestones and
hopefully work with someone to make it more of a static site for
updating on each release
* wire in the conditioning process for jars going into the update site
* add in remaining jetty features to update site
* complete IP validation process (which is slated to be complete end
of may, fingers crossed)
* produce release review docuware
(http://wiki.eclipse.org/Development_Resources/HOWTO/Release_Reviews)

In the grand scheme of things I figure we meet the objectives of the
the incubation graduation process once we get a good many of the above
items resolved.  We certainly have a healthy community, perhaps bigger
outside of eclipse then within the eclipse community but we have been
speaking to folks within eclipse and have there is certainly goals and
priorities in place further support and foster the eclipse community.
The last EclipseCon was a good experience and we had a good attendance
and discussion for how jetty should be versioned and released into the
community.  We have invested in producing some eclipse integrations
and tooling which will land incrementally soon and we hope to pick up
some interest and contributors with that as well.  We did abandon the
eclipse.jetty newsgroup because frankly our developer and user
community is just far too mailing list oriented and the migration of
our user base over to the new mailing list setup is slow but coming
along (we still have some traffic from the sourceforge mailing lists
from years ago!).  We figure the first major jetty7 release will
result in a large uptick with that migration as well.  Our largest
pain point process wise has been trying to get used to using things
like bugzilla which frankly have represented an exceedingly large step
backwards in terms of productivity and integration into workflow for
us.

Anyway, please feel free to comment on any of the items I mentioned or
any additional I have neglected to mention..

cheers!
jesse

--
jesse mcconnell