Re: [jdt-ui-dev] Pre-reqs are not exported

The convention is that dependent plug-in classes are not reexported to
clients. This makes the plugin dependencies explicit. Jdt-ui should not be
different from other plugins in the platform.

Notice that most uses of exports are the consequence of a plugin split (see
org.eclipse.ui as an example). In these cases exporting was used to not
break existing clients of the splitted plug-in.

--erich

                      Randy Hudson
                      <hudsonr@xxxxxx.c         To:      jdt-ui-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx
                      om>                       cc:
                      Sent by:                  Subject: [jdt-ui-dev] Pre-reqs are not exported
                      jdt-ui-dev-admin@
                      eclipse.org

                      12/16/2002 01:56
                      AM
                      Please respond to
                      jdt-ui-dev

jdt.ui requires several plugins, but the plugins are not exported. What is
the reasoning behind not exporting these plugins to other plugins that
pre-req jdt.ui?

Much of the public API in jdt-ui requires that these other plugins be
present *AND* that they be exactly the same version.  For example,
IClassPathEntry returns an IPath, which is from org.eclipse.core.runtime.
Why make other plugins prereq both jdt.ui and core.runtime? The only reason
I can think of is to optimize for the plugin class loader.

The reason I am asking is that I am writing a graphical view of the plugin
registry.  Each plugin is represented as a box, and lines are used to show
the plugins required by each plugin.  Plugins are positioned vertically (in
ranks) such that all required plugins appear above a given plugin.  Long
lines make the diagram hard to read, so I added code to reduce redundant
imports. Then I found out that there weren't any redundant imports, so I
cheated.  Without changes, a diagram of all Eclipse plugins requires about
300 lines.  If I cheat and "export" all requires statements, the same
diagram only needs about 85 lines.

Randy Hudson

Back to the top