AW: [platform-ui-dev] RE: [jdt-ui-dev] Hyperlinked code feature in M3

Yes, the Javadoc generation wizard is too burried and it's not logical to
search for this under the export menu. The first time I used Eclipse it took
me 15 minutes to find out where the hell and how the javadoc generation can
be forced by the IDE. You better place this one as an submenu entry under
one "Wizards" or "Tools" main menu entry or the like.

Where we are on the javadoc theme, most support of that and it's possible
customizations are actually pretty half harted done. Some examples might
better explain here what I mean with "half harted done":

1. Eclipse when installed, right out of the box should offer full access via
the help system to it's own javadoc documented API classes. I mean here a
Shift-F2 on some SWT, JFace etc. class, method, field and so on... should
pop up the full relevant javadoc entries for these. The user shouldn't have
to set up these explicitely or just to live with fragmented portions of
hover popups.

2. The access to the standard Java JDK javadocs should be eased and it
should be possible to access these from inside of zipped/jarred archives.
Nobody want's to install ~125 MB of extracted HTML files, were in contrast a
zipped archive of that occupies only ~30 MB disk space. - Even it is
actually possible (see my Eclipse Wiki entry under the JDT section...) to
handle this, it is more complicated to do this for Eclipse newcomers, since
they actually have to fix port numbers and use some plugin for the archived
JDK docs access. - Eclipse should offer access to both, it's own javadocs
and those of the underlayed/used Java JDK in an easy to handle and setup
manner.

3. The hover javadoc popups inside the java editor only show a short broken
fraction of the whole javadoc. The information shown there often doesn't
show enough of the javadoc explanation for the selected elements. Further
this popup actually isn't scrollable, so that it possibly could show more of
the javadoc contents related to an selected element, if it would be
scollable (?).

4. Many things inside the Eclipse APIs aren't javadoc documented at all, or
lack absolutely some well descripting documention here. Thus many things
there look like quick hacked together code, instead of thouroughly thought
out concepts. At least the missing docs give users these impressions. So
it's generally difficult for people to understand what certain API classes,
methods... are good for at all. A prove for this might be here the big
traffics in the newsgroups. If things would be better documented and clearer
they wouldn't have to ask so much there on how to do this or that. - Compare
the degree of Sun JDK javadocs to those for the Eclipse APIs and you will
see what I mean.

I hope you will also spend some efforts on the above mentioned topics, since
these are also very important for the general success and acceptance of
Eclipse.

-Valentino