Re: [jdt-dev] Telling GitHub to rebuild, rebase, ...

Let me throw in another detail of what the old FAQ contained: "tags" which classify bugs (e.g., [1.8], [null]...). Apparently this can be encoded as Labels in GitHub. Maybe everybody can just make up their own labels (at least committers seem to have the permission). But that's quite beside the point:

In bugzilla I have used these tags *extensively* to search for bugs touching specific aspects. If there is no system behind tagging, this information is lost, and searching bugs, er, issues will soon become a nightmare. Don't be fooled by today's experience of few hundreds of issues in JDT. Our system must empower developers to leverage the information in tens of thousands of issues.

As Jay picked up the topic of force push: when committers do reviews for contributors, let's say I will accept changes only as individual commits, whereas some other committer is happy with a series of force-pushs. Now each time a contributor works with a different committer, they have to ask up-front, in which style they should make their changes. Possible, sure, but isn't that more friction than a few clear-cut rules? And force-push is only one example.

Do other committers have an opinion?

best,
Stephan