Re: [jdt-dev] discussion about my current "Enable Classpath Cycles"project

On 24.03.20 09:34, R Steiger wrote:
The next step is to road-test these mods.  My thought is to locally build a stock Eclipse IDE for Java Developers package, having the above mods, and put it into daily use for a couple of weeks, using it to work on a large code-base.  What’s the recipe for building the IDE?  I’d like to use the most lightweight path, e.g. don’t need to create an update site, doesn’t require pushing to git, etc.

FWIW, I still believe, "lightweight" suggests exporting a feature via the Export wizard. In a workspace that is fully set up for JDT development, just exporting the JDT feature should be done with only a few clicks.

Of course, this will normally create an update site -- unless you opt to install into the current host Eclipse, is that an option?

If, OTOH, you try to run a full maven build, I don't think the JDT team will be able to give a lot of help, because we don't use this approach in daily business.

Maybe I misunderstood what you mean by "lightweight".
Easiest to produce? Use the export wizard.
Easiest to consume? You'd need the help of several experts in different areas if you try to build your own downloadable "IDE for Java Developers", i.e., an Eclipse Package.

best,
Stephan

Back to the top