[jdt-dev] Problem with JDT String externalization wizard when a single .java file needs 2 different property files

Hi All,

  I am facing some issues with the string externalization wizard. I am working on a product based on Eclipse and we are trying to make all the error messages used by the product to one property file(ErrorMessages.properties)  and all UI strings to another property file(UIStrings.properties)  for ease of conversion. Both of these have separate accessor classes also. All these are bundled in a common plugin.

 When I am trying to use the string externalization wizard for a file having both error messages and UI strings I am facing issues. I am trying to do it in two passes. In the first pass, I select all error messages, put all other strings in “Internalize” mode and select the ErrorMessages.properties configuration. This step successfully moves all error messages to the selected property file and corresponding accessor class. Now I started second pass on the same file. This time I need to select only my UI strings in the class, ignore the already externalized error message strings and select UIStrings.properties configuration. For this I checked “Filter all existing ignored and externalized entries” checkbox in the wizard. But this option will filter the already externalized strings in the class only if I select the same ErrorMessages.properties configuration. So I ended up with no option to skip the already externalized strings. I tried to put all the already externalized strings in “Internalize” mode” in second pass. But that reverted what I did in first pass and replaced them with what I had initially.

Why is this behavior? I searched in bugzilla and couldn't find anything matching this problem. Is it a bug or something not yet implemented? Or am I doing something totally wrong?

I am using Eclipse 3.4 M6 version.

Thanks,

Jiju George.

Back to the top