[jdt-dev] Following up on JUnit tests

JDT developers,

A while back a submitted an email inquiring about the intended filesystem layout of a Java project. As a refresher:

The Java projects I typically work with contain:

- source code that others depend on (code that goes into the jar file), e.g. 'src/java'
- unit test code that others should not depend on (code that does not go into the jar file), e.g. 'src/test'

This project directory structure maps to many open source efforts as well.

When I import my project into Eclipse everything works including the execution of JUnit tests; however, upstream dependent projects can now express a dependency on my unit tests.

I think it is reasonable to state that this should not be the case as unit tests are exactly that - unit tests.

At any rate, I would like to solicit the feedback of jdt-dev to see what is the best practice for locating unit tests. In the absence of a preexisting best practice/methodology I would like to recommend that source directories may be set to not be exported as they currently always are exported.

Thanks for your feedback.

-Naresh

Naresh Sikha
Senior Staff, Technology Solutions
Charles Schwab & Co., Inc.
215 Fremont Street / SF215FMT-06-274
San Francisco, CA 94105-2306
W: 415-667-8071
E: naresh.sikha@xxxxxxxxxx
WARNING: All email sent to this address will be received by the Charles Schwab & Co., Inc. corporate email system and is subject to archival and review by someone other than the recipient.

Back to the top