[january-dev] January core dependencies

Congrats to the January project on it's 1.0.0 release!

I am interested in using the January dataset APIs in an IoT context and have a couple of observations that could be useful...and contributions if you would like. For reference the current manifest.mf from the core bundle (org.eclipse.january) is copied below.

1) The required EE is currently set to 1.8. Is there a reason it could not be 1.7? The Kura project, for example, currently doesn't run on 1.8...yet, and so if it could be 1.7 it would be usable in perhaps more environments.

2) The commons.math3 lib:

 org.apache.commons.math3;bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)";visibility:=reexport

a fairly new version range is required. Is it possible to use/include a version lower than 3.2? Also, why does it reexport this lib?

3) Would it be possible to use import package rather than require-bundle for commons lang, commons.math3? I understand if not (there are certainly split package use cases where it's not, etc), but it might be helpful for some scenarios (more than one version is required).

4) The slf4j version required is relatively new...could that be lowered as well?

5) The org.eclipse.january.metadata.internal package is exported...yet it's called 'internal'. Is that desired?

6) It would probably be a good idea to have version numbers for your each of your exported packages.

If you would like a contribution for any of these I would be happy to do so.

Thanks again for the work though...we are enjoying using it.

Scott

org.eclipse.january manifest

Manifest-Version: 1.0
Bundle-ManifestVersion: 2
Bundle-Name: Eclipse January Datasets (Incubation)
Bundle-SymbolicName: org.eclipse.january
Bundle-Version: 1.0.0.qualifier
Bundle-RequiredExecutionEnvironment: JavaSE-1.8
Export-Package: org.eclipse.january,
 org.eclipse.january.dataset,
 org.eclipse.january.io,
 org.eclipse.january.metadata,
 org.eclipse.january.metadata.internal
Require-Bundle: org.apache.commons.lang;bundle-version="[2.6.0,3.0.0)",
 org.apache.commons.math3;bundle-version="[3.2.0,4.0.0)";visibility:=reexport
Import-Package: org.slf4j;version="[1.7.2,2.0.0)"
Bundle-Vendor: Eclipse January

Back to the top