[jakartaee-tck-dev] Ideas for the Platform TCK to cover the Platform requirements but also keep removed TCK tests somewhere...

Hi,

In today's Platform call, we briefly talked about having a way to run TCK tests for things that have been removed from the Platform.

We also raised a question about whether the EJB 2.x API is an EE 11 Platform requirement which will clue us in as to whether at least one EE implementation needs to pass EJB 2.x tests in order for the EE 11 Platform Specification to be considered final.  I think that this was already decided in 2023 by the Specification Committee so I think Emily's (platform) point about asking for clarification in tomorrow's Spec call would help.

Regardless of the answer to the raised EJB 2.x API question, we should discuss ideas for how to cover a way for EE implementations to run TCK tests that have been removed from the Platform as I think multiple EE implementations are interested in doing so.

Some options are below, please add other options to the list:

1. For EE 10 tests, maintain a subset of the relevant TCK zip archive in github (in unzipped form).  The idea is to maintain a TCK that can be updated to contain needed changes for running on a future Java SE version (if the relevant Spec team isn't against changes being made).  For example, we could unzip the contents of https://www.eclipse.org/downloads/download.php?file=/jakartaee/web-services-metadata/2.1/jakarta-xml-ws-tck-2.3.0.zip and add the contents into a new xml-ws-tck repo (or a Platform TCK branch that contains the jakarta-xml-ws-tck-2.3.0.zip (JAXWS) TCK).  For this example, Apache Ant would be used to rebuild the 2.3.* TCK.
2. Keep the relevant removed tests in the Platform TCK on all future EE branches (e.g. EE 11/12/13/14/150/151/152...).
3. Not sure but lets defer discussing until after the EE 11 release is finished.
4.  Other ideas?

Scott

Back to the top