Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Please vote on using 2 space indentation versus 4 space indentation...

On Fri, May 12, 2023 at 2:23 AM Arjan Tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Hi,

Didn't we agree on this ages ago? The EE4J formatting was set to 4 spaces when the project was started. We formatted quite a bunch of existing code to use 4 spaces. I don't think some projects should standardize on something, but just follow the EE4J formatting instead ;)

no real idea I was not there :) and I cannot see any rules/enforcements applied in the project.
As those discussions can be usually endless and don't improve productivity as it's really based on personal preferences.
So I don’t really want to start another (flamed?) discussion especially if this has been discussed already.
Anyway my primary goal is to have tooling enforcing the standards. But Maven tooling as I can see only files for Eclipse and IntelliJ (need to check but I cannot see configuration of spaces for xml in IntelliJ file so the default is 2)
And there are many other IDEs (netbeans, vscode etc....) or vi (or emacs of course as well oops I was closed to restart another flamed discussion :P)

I changed the PR to use spotless to check the format (and possibly format manually via calling mvn spotless:apply in case of check failure).
No automatic reformating but the format is enforce via a check.
This could ensure the same formatting for all poms without the need of using manually IDE and to provide IDE configuration for all IDEs.
This will make reviews easy (no need to complain to add space here etc..)

Maybe we should have this with sources as well. But something not only checking, the tool should be able to reformat on demand.
So you don't worry about anything when writing code at the end you just apply the format via `mvn someplugin`

So that's a very clear "no" from me. Please use 4 space indentations exclusively.

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms