Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] [data-dev] New Tools and Challenges of Creating Modern TCK on Persistence Layer

I missed to comment something,

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 7:37 AM Olivier Lamy <olamy@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

On Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 7:24 AM David Matejcek <david.matejcek@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 27. 04. 23 23:06, Olivier Lamy wrote:
Hi,
I Agree too for those same reasons.
We already have a standard way to deploy to containers via Arquillian suite.
Let's not reinvent the wheel :)
And I'm using testcontainer a lot but in this particular case I definitely agree with all the reasons above.
At the end of the day, testcontainer can still be used by the Arquillian container impl? (just write an Arquillian GF using testcontainer)
I already had this, quite easy.

So let's use it?

If I look at the case of Servlet TCK with Jetty, this will be a loss of productivity and speed.
Because the Aquillian Jetty is using an embedded Jetty which means it's only one jvm start (e.g everything runs within the same jvm) and it means I can start/debug the tests with IntelliJ very easily.
Using a tool such testcontainer will make this more complicated to debug with a remote started container.

It is not so bad, you just map the port to a concrete value, set this in Eclipse and hit debug. (project - random with most of dependencies, so I can see sources).

Yeah, with Jetty it is much easier, I don't need any settings (if I am not using a different debug port). I can do that even with TestContainers, if I would use 9009 and had it free on localhost.

This step is not the problem but all the steps before reaching this point are the problems and will slow down containers developers with Arquillian embedded support :(
Because every single line of code change in your container in my case Jetty will mean rebuilding completely Jetty and then rebuilding the Docker images.
And I guess this will be similar for all implementations...

Whereas with current Arquillian embedded support, after a change in Jetty, we just hit the run button from the IDE and it works.
Maybe if GF had Arquillian embedded support you would understand how it is fast, convenient and super productive :)

This is not the main issue. As mentioned in this thread, every single container will have a different way/need of configuration.
And I guess we don't want the TCK code to be dependent on any specific container.
Arquillian already solves that and btw fix your problem about using testcontainer because you have an implementation for this.
Do we really want to reinvent the wheel with another layer between your test and the container?
As you have some concerns about XML.
Maybe Arquillian could have some enhancements for sure to support some other formats (but frankly I find that cosmetic but let's not start another discussion about xml vs json vs yaml)
Why not do that and improve it?

--
David Matejcek | OmniFish
david.matejcek@xxxxxxxxxxx