[jakartaee-tck-dev] Platform TCK call #9 was on Wednesday April 6 and some follow up about default Platform TCK branch name...

Hi,

Next month we will send a reminder before the TCK call instead of after.  :-)

Check out the call agenda/notes [1] and video recording on youtube.com [2].

We talked about EE 10 + the Java Security Manager and how EE 10 implementations might claim compatibility on Java SE 18, increasing the number of committers by recruiting more people to help refactor the Platform TCK to be Arquillian/Maven based, moving the Platform TCK repo to github.com/jakartaee/, whether to change the git default branch to `main` or the Platform TCK version being developed.

If anyone has feedback on the Platform TCK default branch name, please do share it.  If we try using the TCK version as the branch name, that would look something like:

  1. After EE 10 is released final, rename https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/tree/master to https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/tree/10.0.x
  2. Create new https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/tree/11.0.x (from `10.0.x`) which will be the new default branch until we start developing the next release.

Pros of ^ TCK version as the default branch name:

  • When we complete the EE 11 release, all of the EE 11 Jenkins jobs will already be pointing at the correct branch name to be used for future TCK challenges, which reduces the effort to update Jenkins jobs after a release.
    • We still need to clone the Jenkins jobs though for the next release.
  • The default Platform TCK branch name will indicate the EE release being developed, instead of the vague `main` branch name which doesn't reflect the EE release number.

Cons of ^ TCK version as the default branch name:

  • Confusion at the end of the EE release as to what TCK branch name to use when starting to work on the next release but possibly before it is known as to what the next EE release number is.
    • For example, we might start working on branch `11.0.x` but soon decide instead to develop a `10.1.0` release.  Meaning, that we create a new `10.1.x` branch off of the existing `10.0.x` branch but keep the `11.0.x` branch changes separate.
      • The default branch name would probably be changed from `11.0.x` to `10.1.x` which could be confusing for those not keeping up with Platform TCK email that would announce the change.
  • Tell us of other problems with this TCK version as default branch name scheme...

Scott

[1] https://docs.google.com/document/d/1V1dDLJkd14EDRMPeuI0VzPtU4Lbli8FFBd1pLDLlOrY/edit#bookmark=kix.fztdgtxwyhh8
[2] https://t.co/ESu253eK3H

Back to the top