Re: [jakartaee-tck-dev] Relaxing signature testing

The problem with that is the tooling in this case will never look at that, unless it is also going to be brought under Jakarta.

Since the BND annotations use a RetentionPolicy.CLASS they are not visible via reflection. I don't know if the bytecode for the annotation retains the retention policy setting. It must, else how could the reflection system make the distinction? Is that a sufficient distinction to allow CLASS or SOURCE RetentionPolicy annotations in API jars?

On Wed, Mar 17, 2021 at 3:38 PM David Blevins <david.blevins@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Mar 17, 2021, at 12:21 PM, Scott Marlow <smarlow@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
> On 3/17/21 2:48 PM, David Blevins wrote:
>> The flip side is if this is actually adds capabilities desirable in well-known platforms like OSGi, maybe should create a standard annotation and officially add it to the API so everyone has it.
> This is the fundamental question, whether to ignore certain annotations that have no impact on compatibility.  This is also somewhat of a slippery slope as the annotation class could be enhanced in a way that does cause compatibility concerns, even if the annotation is a standard annotation.

I intended to say something very different than I think was understood.  When I say potentially making it a standard annotation what I mean is a new "jakarta.*" annotation defined in a spec and with signature tests.

-David