[jakartaee-tck-dev] Tracking usage data for EE4J working group CI cloud systems

Hi,

(Moving to lists)

Here's an update on the bug I filed "EE4J Working Group needs way to monitor Resource Pack Utilization". In the last comment, the Web Admins have supplied a couple of spreadsheets showing data sampling of vCPU counts and memory usage. I've plotted the CPU usage samples and here is an image for Jakarta EE TCK project:

The available reports provide limits and memory usage, but I don't think those are actually independent. The bug content also lists similar tables/graphs for Eclipse GlassFish and EclipseLink. Please note that the vCPU shapes can vary so memory totals seem to be much more generous for the TCK project.

Here is a similar graph, for Eclipse GlassFish:

We can discuss what these data are implying, but I was asked to validate the data in these reports so I'm soliciting your feedback.

My goals were to assess the allocations and to understand if we were over or under allocated. Then, to use these data to decide if we needed to fund more, or fewer "Resource Packs" for CY 2021.

Separately, we had asked for a different mechanism for allocating resource packs across the working group but I don't have any news on that aspect of this issue.

So, this e-mail is to kick-off some discussion about this and see if these data will suffice for our monitoring and planning purposes.

What do you think about the data-capture? I think the fundamental question is: can we manage this resource, hence the cost, based on these data?

You are also welcome to review any of the commentary and ask questions directly via the issue.

I'd be happy to expand the distribution on this, but thought I'd start with those who'd indicated interest and who had been following the issue(s).

Cheers,

-- Ed

Back to the top