[jakartaee-spec-project-leads] TCK Development

Hi Everyone,

Now that Servlet 5.0 is out we are looking to do a relatively quick Servlet 5.1 to get SameSite cookie support into the spec. Adding this to the spec is relatively simple, however we will also need to update the TCK and I am not really sure how the development process for updating specs will work with the current monorepo.

The way I see if there are a few different options:

1) Everyone just commits to master in the TCK repo.

This will make a huge mess, with master being a mis-mash of different specs in different stages of completion. IMHO this is a complete non starter.

2) We get a servlet-5.1 branch in the TCK repo

We do all the work in this branch, which means that all pull requests will be mixed in with other projects pull requests. It will also lead to branch explosion over time, as every version of every spec will get its own branch. Work would be pulled back into master when it is complete (or possibly based on other criteria, like a new platform release).

3) We create a new repo just for Servlet

Basically we fork the TCK repo into a servlet-tck repo, and do all our work there (which means PRs and review are handled by the Servlet project). Once the work is complete it will possibly be merged back into the main repo as required, or alternatively we could say that the Servlet TCK is now standalone, and no longer part of the main repo. This would potentially allow us to modernise it (e.g. move to Arquillian), but if we don't have time to do this the potential worst case would be that the TCK's diverge over time, resulting in lots of slightly different Javatest based TCK's with slightly different requirements/setup.

I am not really sure what the best approach is here, so I thought I would see if anyone else has been thinking about this, and what people think of the different options above.

Stuart

Back to the top