Re: [jakartaee-spec-project-leads] Automatic Module Names for Jakarta EE 9

The article doesn't create a self-contained jlink image: it just creates a minimal runtime image by leaving out unneeded JDK modules (and because of the use of automatic modules, Simon has to figure out the correct set of modules by using jdeps, rather than having jlink do it for him).
If everything were modules, you wouldn't need this either: "To simplify redistribution, we can copy the dist directory with the application jar files into the java-runtime directory, create a simple script to execute Java with all the appropriate command line flags and we are all good to go."
Instead, you'd just run the "launcher" shell script in the jlink image's bin directory.

Kind regards, Anthony