Re: [jakartaee-spec-project-leads] Automatic Module Names for Jakarta EE 9

On 1/29/20 3:43 PM, Kevin Sutter wrote:
Is it a requirement that all of the Projects use the OSGI Bundle-SymbolicName?  (It probably is due to the use of the maven bundle plugin, but I thought I would ask...)

Yes; GF is based on OSGi so whatever gets there, needs to be OSGi bundle and "The Bundle-SymbolicName manifest header is a mandatory header."[1]

Just to be clear with an example, I looked at Servlet:
<bundle.symbolicName>jakarta.servlet-api</bundle.symbolicName>

Thus, your proposed Automatic Module name would be (given your proposed rules)?
jakarta.servlet.api

Are we good with this approach across the Jakarta EE Projects?

no on my end as it may require implementation module to be called API in certain cases, ie https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/mail/issues/409 has some details. JDK does not use "api" in their module names too. But if majority wants it this way...

thanks,
--lukas

[1]: https://osgi.org/specification/osgi.core/7.0.0/framework.module.html#framework.module.bsn

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect @ IBM
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: https://www.linkedin.com/in/kevinwsutter