Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Question about forking the TCK Signature test library

On 1/11/24 14:08, Scott Marlow wrote:
Thanks Kyle Aure for raising the $subject in [1] which I am echoing here.  Kyle asked on [1]:
"
Since this library [2]  is so integral to Jakarta EE TCK testing should eclipse manage a fork of this project so we can make these kind of changes? The base project doesn't seem to accept issues :(
"

The [2] netbeans-apitest library is used for our TCK signature testing which we use to record Specification API jar contents and to verify that Specification implementations use the correct classes and no more or less than the correct classes.  We also ensure that SPEC API implementations are not super-setted (e.g. no additional public fields/methods/annotations are added to implementations) and that SPEC API implementations are not sub-setted (e.g. no expected public fields/methods/annotations are removed from implementations).  The no super/sub setting is to prevent fragmentation of the Jakarta EE space as was experienced previously with Unix ports.

For background, the netbeans-apitest library [2] is based on the OpenJDK sigtest library [3] which is now archived (I'm not sure if that was forked to a different location).

Should we fork the netbeans-apitest library [2] to somewhere that is not a personal github repo?  If yes, where should it be moved to?  Some possible options:

1.  Fork [2] to a new repository under https://github.com/jakartaee
2.  Fork [2] to be maintained as part of https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck-tools
3.  Fork [2] to be in some other toplevel (e.g. not Eclipse) repository.

4.  Write a replacement TCK Signature test tool that can be run on Java 17+.

Back to the top