Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [DISCUSS] Include Jakarta Data in EE 11

Oliver,

You state,

>  There are other aspects and design decisions that we think are problematic from a API user's point of view (CrudRepository returning Streams, Keyset scrolling intermingled with pagination etc.) but I think that discussion is to be had on a different channel.

Please start those discussions in Jakarta Data spec issues.  This is the first I’ve seen those points brought up, but there is plenty of time left to make improvements and fixes.  It’s possible they were stated somewhere and I missed them or maybe they were compromised away in various negotiations that happen to move forward.  I can’t say what happened but let’s get these things addressed now while there is still time.

I’m sorry that I misunderstood Spring’s intention about implementing the spec – I thought I heard it on one of the calls toward the beginning, but maybe I didn’t realize who was speaking and mistook another vendor for Spring.  That said, it does matter greatly whether or not you are going to implement the specification.  The spec participants are well aware how dominant Spring is in the space and the value of you being onboard with the specification.  The reality is this gives proposals from Spring outsized weight in the minds of the other spec participants.  However, if you are deciding against implementing the specification, then that incentive disappears and consideration will be given on technical merit alone – the same as any other participant, and some things you ask for can be expected to be compromised away and at times consensus will go contrary to what you require.  I’d certainly recommend that if you do choose to implement the Jakarta Data specification, make it known upfront when you make statements and proposals that are absolute requirements of Spring providing an implementation of the spec vs just opinions or ideas to consider and think more about.  Up to this point that has rarely ever been clear, possibly resulting in decisions you find unacceptable without the spec community realizing it.