Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [cdi-dev] Specification backward compatibility requirements

Agree with Mark, CDI lite always had been rejected as being part of CDI spec by half of the participants and always had been thought as the replacement of the CDI full/core by the others so no real agreement there and it is very hard to get a relevant feedback with polls so at some point there should be a real governance @jakarta and it should be clearly/explicitly shared to end users (website, media, ...) to ensure it is well known that it is community driven or not.
As of today it seems clearly not - which is fine, lot of project are like that, but must be known upfront by end users and participants IMHO.

Romain Manni-Bucau

Le lun. 30 janv. 2023 à 14:33, reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> a écrit :
I think this is now water under the bridge and was fine. I remember seeing the poll and discussion. I didn’t chime in because things seemed fine. It is a good idea to put polls like this on social media by working with the Eclipse Foundation.

From: cdi-dev <cdi-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Ladislav Thon <lthon@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, January 30, 2023 5:06 AM
To: cdi developer discussions <cdi-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Cc: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [cdi-dev] [jakartaee-platform-dev] Specification backward compatibility requirements

Hi,

first off: wide consensus hasn't always been reached, but that doesn't mean that criticism has been ignored and not taken into account. As far as I can tell, we've always bent over backwards to reply, reply again, and as much as practically possible also satisfy all requests without compromising the end goal.

When it comes to the breaking change of empty beans.xml treatment specifically. This has been discussed extensively both on this mailing list:

As well as on the CDI meetings:

- 2021-01-12
- 2021-03-02
- 2021-04-13
- 2021-04-20
- 2021-04-27
- 2021-05-04
- 2021-05-11

We even had a poll that both CDI committers and users answered:

There were multiple options, all explained in decent amount of detail, and the one where empty beans.xml changes meaning from all to annotated discovery has won pretty clearly.

Now, I don't know if we broke some arcane process we weren't aware of -- but this certainly hasn't come as a surprise. The discussions about this change occurred 2 years ago -- there has certainly been plenty of time to raise this concern.

LT