Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Jakarta EE next

Hi,

One of the approaches I think is just asking for the ideas that the various committers and vendors have. That is *a* view of course, and things like surveys to gather more community and user input should probably be used as well.

One of the things I would like to look at for Jakarta EE Next is continuing the path of rebasing on CDI, and making CDI a clear core component model.

We've been on this path ever since CDI was introduced in EE 6. Particularly in EE 7 where @Transactional was introduced, EE 8 where Security was introduced that was fully based on CDI from the get go, and EE 10 where Faces pruned its native managed beans in favour of CDI (a plan that was announced all the way back in 2009).

There's still a bunch of open issues regarding this topic. For instance, in Jakarta Persistence, the EntityManager isn't directly injected via CDI. See https://github.com/jakartaee/persistence/issues/377

Also, for what should be a relatively modern specification, Jakarta Concurrency is still deeply rooted in JNDI, resource-refs, EJB,etc. We should really base this more on CDI. See https://github.com/jakartaee/concurrency/issues/229 and https://github.com/jakartaee/concurrency/issues/252

There's also a couple of things that are architecturally "wrong". Due to historical reasons, CDI itself knows about a couple of artefacts that it provides for injection, but those should be provided by the specifications that own these types. See e.g. Jakarta Transactions: https://www.eclipse.org/lists/jta-dev/msg00245.html

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms