Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [cdi-dev] [interceptors-dev] [jaxrs-dev] Redefine what Priority annotation means across Jakarta EE specifications

I voted to do nothing. I am glad a few other folks think so too. I don’t think this is an important enough issue to invest too much energy into.

Reza Rahman

From: jakartaee-platform-dev <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> on behalf of Romain Manni-Bucau <rmannibucau@xxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 7:32 AM
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions
Cc: interceptors developer discussions; jaxrs developer discussions; cdi developer discussions
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [cdi-dev] [interceptors-dev] [jaxrs-dev] Redefine what Priority annotation means across Jakarta EE specifications

Well since it is kind of fifty-fifty - even if a few more votes are casted it will not change the balance - I'm not sure it can be used to decide if @Priority must be created in commons but i'd like to ask yourself what would be such an annotation since the existing priorities don't have the same meaning nor semantic by design so using the same annotation for different meaning will be misleading (at least CDI shows it well with interceptors/decorators/observers) so, IMHO, it is 100% about using the existing ones and well defining the meaning in the owning specs since an order is always relative to its definition and sharing annotations will create ambiguous cases (between jaxrs and cdi for example, 3 priority annotations can be needed - one for the observer one for the jaxrs chain).

Romain Manni-Bucau