Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Redefine what Priority annotation means across Jakarta EE specifications

The JavaEE7 and JavaEE8 JavaDoc have:

>> The Priority annotation can be applied to classes to indicate in
>> what order the classes should be used. The effect of using the
>> Priority annotation in any particular instance is defined by other
>> specifications that define the use of a specific class.
>>
>> For example, the Interceptors specification defines the use of
>> priorities on interceptors to control the order in which
>> interceptors are called.
>>
>> Priority values should generally be non-negative, with negative
>> values reserved for special meanings such as "undefined" or "not
>> specified". A specification that defines use of the Priority
>> annotation may define the range of allowed priorities and any
>> priority values with special meaning

Here, the meaning is defined by the specification that uses the annotation, not by the priority annotation itself.  Having Priority set the meaning changes the basic definition.

Based on this, I'm thinking that (E) is best, with a modification to document the preferred meaning.

Also:

Allowing the specification that uses the annotation define how the annotation will be used provides the most inclusive definition. Specifications that are to be added to Jakarta won't need to redefine their use of Priority.

Adding a new annotation (@Ranking) seems to add as much confusion as is removed by unifying the way the annotation is used.

"Rank" has particular associations which we perhaps should avoid: Military rank, class rank.  I don't think "Rank" is best for a new annotation.

Thomas F. Bitonti
WebSphere Application Server

Inactive hide details for "Emily Jiang via jakartaee-platform-dev" ---11/09/2021 07:09:40 AM---As promised in last week's Jakar"Emily Jiang via jakartaee-platform-dev" ---11/09/2021 07:09:40 AM---As promised in last week's Jakarta EE platform call, I have created this doc <https://urldefense.pro