Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Removal of CORBA related APIs in EE10

Adding some more color to this as every time CORBA comes up it gets treated as a singular binary topic: should we make "CORBA" optional, removed, etc.

I've written some more detailed comments here[1], but the short version is there are three classes of CORBA-related requirements:

  a. Exposing CORBA as a service that applications can use to call legacy systems.
  b. Enabling servers to use CORBA as their protocol.
  c. Defining full remote interoperability between heterogeneous (cross-vendor) servers.

We removed C in EE 9.  We made A optional in EE 9.1.  Requirements for B cannot be removed as we still have servers that use CORBA as their underlying protocol.

We could remove the optional support for A.  BUT and massive massive BUT, we cannot get confused and tell ourselves "we're removing CORBA so anything that smells like CORBA should go."  We've done exactly that for 2 releases and it takes so much work to continuously clarify the differences between these three groups of requirements.  I personally would not be up for doing that for a 3rd release, though I am happy if someone else who truly understands the distinctions is willing to do that.

Note that PortableRemoteObject.narrow falls into category B.

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

[1] https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-platform/pull/323#pullrequestreview-630936636