Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Discussion - adding or not adding MVCto Web Profile

I also tried to Mention that on the platform Agenda, mainly if it was possible to break the Web Profile into „pillars“ like Servlet-based, REST-based or similar. That would allow to introduce MVC on the REST side but keep the Servlet-based specs like Servlet, JSP, Faces etc. optional in a future Jakarta EE profile, making it easier for implementors who wish to support more lightweight Solutions like „Self Contained Systems“.

Werner

Von: Reza Rahman
Gesendet: Freitag, 26. März 2021 14:55
An: jakartaee-platform developer discussions
Betreff: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Discussion - adding or not adding MVCto Web Profile

I very much agree with this concern. It is very tough to make a case that server-side Java frameworks are mainstream enough to be included in a Jakarta EE profile at all. Indeed, I think it is time to prune things like JSF and JSP from the profiles too. Should things ever change back in favor of Java server-side web frameworks, they could be added to Jakarta EE profiles then.

And I say this while being a long time fan of Java server-side web frameworks. I continue to believe MVC fills a critical void in the Java ecosystem as a stand-alone, pluggable technology.

Reza Rahman