Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] [jakarta.ee-spec] Compatibility Certification Requirements for EE 9.1

Now I understand my confusion around the use of 'standalone' in the contexts of the TCKs. The list of TCKs in [1] as you say have their source in the jakartaee-tck project intermingled with the CTS source. Just looking at the
https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jakartaee-tck/tree/master/src/com/sun/ts/tests/servlet tree there is nothing that distinguishes this as standalone. It apparently is generated from the

This is a confusing relationship and I would hardly call these standalone. The reality is that the CTS/platform TCK project includes the TCK tests for several specifications and produces a TCK binary for several specifications. A question is whether the released standalone TCKs for 9.0 under https://download.eclipse.org/jakartaee/ could be used as is or whether there are actual changes needed to be able to run under Java 11.

The distinction matters in my mind because if the jakarta-servlet-tck-5.0.0.zip TCK can be used as is, the 9.1 platform release is just an update at the platform level and there is no need for a CCR at the servlet spec level. It is just another compatible implementation that is free to create a CCR, but it is not required for validation of the servlet spec or TCK.

I don't see how the TCKs in [2] are being run. Presumably this does have to use the binaries from the 9.0 release as we have not produced any new versions as far as I know.

If the specifications were actually being updated to use Java 11 language features then there would be a more straightforward need to do full API/spec/TCK updates and validate that with an implementation that had a CCR.

I'm of the opinion that we need to start reducing the work specification projects need to do. The platform CCR has to validate that it can run against all the TCKs in the CTS and externally. That CCR should be sufficient as proof that the specification TCKs run under Java 11 and are suitable for the 9.1 release. I don't see a need for a CCR in every specification project.