From:        <dmitry.kornilov@xxxxxxxxxx>
To:        "'jakartaee-platform developer discussions'" <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "'JakartaEE Spec Project Leadership        discussions'" <jakartaee-spec-project-leads@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date:        07/09/2020 05:24
Subject:        [EXTERNAL] Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java 8 vs Java 11        Compatibility        requirements
Sent by:        jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx

Let me put my 2 cents here.

I’ll start with the summary:

I am suggesting choosing option #2 (Java 8 support only) for September release and release Jakarta EE 9.1 at the end of this year with full Java 11 support.

Some thoughts to justify it:

  1. September release is at risk anyway because of summer vacations. In order to make it we need to reduce the scope as much as possible. The beast we can do is to drop Java 11 support.
  2. One of our goals is achieving higher release cadence. Releasing Java 8 version in September with a following Java 11 release in December follows this idea.
  3. All components have been tested on Java 8 but not on Java 11. There might be issues we’ve never faced, especially in OSGi area.
  4. Some components may have 3-rd party dependencies which still use ‘javax’ and not going to migrate to ‘jakarta’ at least now. The sample is Apache Sanctuario used in Metro. Lukas may provide more details if needed.

Thanks,

Dmitry