Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

This email chain is getting rather long for my email client. I am truncating it to hopefully help that. Apologies for any inconvenience.

Phillip: Anyway ,happy to debate this - I might be wrong.

We can try, but it feels like our differences in this case might be too fundamental to ever really converge. And to be honest I feel like most things that I want to say I've already said in some way or the other. However, perhaps it is useful to reiterate some key points from my perspective very, very briefly. I'd rather we don't belabor them if we didn't need to and perhaps simply agree to disagree.

* Firstly, I have a very hard time understanding why it is so difficult to consider whether MicroProfile has already served it's purpose and now it is time to think about how to gradually coalesce around Jakarta EE stronger together, including beginning to define a sensible incubation process. Forks rarely succeed. Having two forks of Java EE forever probably reduces the chance of success even further, especially when faced by competition the likes of Spring.

* MicroProfile has been around for almost three years now, unencumbered by the need to compete for attention with Java EE releases and development. To be honest, I have not seen that much adoption certainly compared to Java EE releases. As a result, I think the effective population that would be disrupted by a convergence that begins now is rather small compared to people that have to deal with the consequences of long term fragmentation.

* The people that would be disrupted would be disrupted anyway by the javax -> jakarta move because MicroProfile in practicality is very heavily dependent on Java EE.

Reza Rahman
Principal Program Manager
Java on Azure