Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

+1

From: jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx <jakartaee-platform-dev-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx> On Behalf Of Bill Shannon
Sent: 05 June 2019 21:59
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>; Kevin Sutter <sutter@xxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

There's already some optional specs in Java EE 8, we could remove them in Jakarta EE 9 and then not have to worry about moving them to jakarta.*.

We could also consider pruning some other specs by making them proposed optional in Jakarta EE 9 and making them optional and possibly removing them in Jakarta EE 10.  Such specs might not need to be moved to jakarta.*.

I think this is why the Big Bang proposal says "some or all" will be moved to jakarta.*; it allows us to leave behind specs that we plan to abandon.

But we haven't decided what our pruning or removal policy will be for Jakarta EE releases so this may be premature.

Kevin Sutter wrote on 6/5/19 1:37 PM:

Steve,
>  Are you really suggesting that after all this time that we actually don’t want to change the apis that we’ve just spent two years moving to the Eclipse Foundation?

Not at all.  I'm just being pragmatic.  It's very easy to talk about all of the desired changes.  It's another to get the community fired up to actually architect, develop, test, and document all of the changes.  An incremental approach would allow the more gradual (I'd say natural) migration from javax to jakarta.  It also allows us to better determine which Specs are not active and maybe candidates for stabilization or deprecation or even removal.

Kevin Sutter
STSM, MicroProfile and Jakarta EE architect
phone: tl-553-3620 (office), 507-253-3620 (office)
LinkedIn: