Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Java EE Guardians Statement on Oracle/Eclipse Agreement

Thanks for posting the statement and sharing your thoughts Ryan.

I agree that I'd like to see changes (new features) in the platform sooner, rather than later.  We are all in a ship that has been cruising at the same speed for a number of years now, while other ships are sailing past.  In an effort to keep the platform relevant, new features need to be added in a timely manner.

I am of the opinion that we need to perform a switch over to the jakarta package namespace at once.  The platform is changing from Java EE to Jakarta EE.  I think it will be much easier for the community (and newcomers) to understand that they are moving from the older platform to the newer platform, rather than revisiting the "old" packages each time an upgrade occurs.  I won't reinvigorate this discussion here on this thread...the original package renaming thread contains lots of great discussion already.

I think MicroProfile makes sense as a "profile" of Jakarta EE.  It will be confusing if Jakarta EE is a platform that contains a number of profiles (web, standard), and MicroProfile is a "different" initiative that uses Jakarta EE specs.  Perhaps to start slowly, rolling some of the features of MicroProfile into Jakarta EE 9 makes sense.  Java EE has been waiting for Health Checking and Configuration for years...why not make use of the excellent work done by MicroProfile and roll it into Jakarta EE?

Thanks again