Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Um. Either my email was not clear or something got lost in translation.

I never suggested abandoning the Java EE code base, just the opposite.  As for MicroProfile that could easily co-exist with Jakarta EE as a sanctioned Profile.  No one would need to change anything.

On Wed, May 8, 2019 at 3:03 PM reza_rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Thank you Richard for chiming in. The objective evidence that I have seen aligns with the idea of creating at least one new profile focused on microservices.

It is not like the idea of just discountinuing with Jakarta EE and focusing on MicroProfile is all that unexpected. Most of us that have been closely watching the MicroProfile personas have seen this coming for months.

That hypothesis deserves an attempt at validation so I did test it to the best of my abilities. The peoblem is that it resonates with as few as 5-10% of the community. It is not just the Twitter poll I am talking about here. I have been talking about this with the folks I trust the most - all of whom are real world Java EE users - for a while now. As many as 60% want MicroProfile folded into Jakarta EE ASAP - with the introduction of a Jakarta EE incubator status that relaxes procedural and transparency rigours temporarily. This is actually the 100% view with the folks I know as opposed to the folks I have polled.

As Ryan has tried to tell you already, any position that states Jakarta EE is legacy and we should focus on something else is potentially disastrous for everyone here. Our detractors will take this opportunity to tell people to move to their platform while we are "still trying to figure it out".

This is especially true for Servlet. What we should be doing instead is creating an alternative set of additional APIs within Servlet that has reactive features. The minority that actually needs such features can opt in to those APIs while still sticking with their same Servlet containers instead of moving to something else. There is a good possibility that something will not be "vertx" but something no one here is aligned with.

Please choose wisely. What comforts me is that the working group is based on simple majority rather than consensus. I am still hopeful sanity will prevail after of initial kneejerk overreacton.

Being handed a monkey wrench by a bunch of overzealous lawyers is not nice. I get it. You guys are smart enough to handle it. Do not hit auto destruct on things that pay your salaries in favor of something new that may or may not.

-------- Original message --------
From: Richard Monson-Haefel <rmonson@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5/8/19 10:55 PM (GMT+08:00)
To: jakartaee-platform developer discussions <jakartaee-platform-dev@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

Like many of you, I have been in this industry for decades now (25 years and counting) and I cannot help but believe that entirely new, unexpected ways of doing Enterprise Computing will emerge in the decades to come, and each will challenge whatever is the Jakarta EE platform is at the time.

tl;dr (aka The skinny)

The answer to the ever-evolving EE is Profiles. Do not define Jakarta EE as one monolithic platform that continues to grow. Instead, define it as a small core, Java SE and maybe something else, around which a plethora of profiles can be defined all of which work well with the core and therefore each other.

The long version

The Jakarta EE platform, whatever it is at any given time, must be flexible enough to allow end-users to adopt innovations and drop old technologies with very little modification to existing systems. Accommodating all the changes to come is impossible when the "platform" concept claims the mind-share.  You can't define an entire platform and expect it to remain, in its entirety, relevant forever.

I think the only answer to this dilemma is the concept of a Profile - or at least what I believe are profiles.  A profile is to me, a set of APIs that have been gathered together and used to accomplish some domain-specific objective.   The Web profile, while not a pure profile in the sense I'm talking about, is one example.  It allowed vendors more flexibility as well as end-users.

A better way forward might be to think of Jakarta EE as many things rather than just one monolithic thing. As long as there is a core, and in my mind that is at least Java SE, that remains stable, Jakarta EE can be whatever it needs to be. That means it can be something new, but it can also be something old or some mix of both.

Take the current Java EE platform. It's actually composed of many different technologies including EJB, Servlets/JSPs, JNDI, JMS, concurrency, CDI, etc.  The platform ensures that they work well together, It is the glue.  The same is true of a Profile, but in terms of perception, a Profile is far more composable as well as ephemeral than a Platform.

Now, think of Jakarta EE not as a platform in the sense that Java EE is a platform, but as a collection of optional profiles.  As long as the Profiles always work with the core, you can use any combination of those Profiles you want.  For example, if all you want is JMS and MDBs you should be able to buy a Jakarta EE platform with those two profiles and nothing else.  Another example, what if you want JSF, JDO and CDI and nothing else.

If we think of Jakarta EE as one single entangled platform, we will never be free of the conundrum of advancing the platform without leaving folks behind.   If, however, we develop every Profile so that its composable with a core and therefore any other Profile we start to see a platform that can evolve, be standardized, and remain backward compatible.  If you are using an older version of JSP or EJB or whatever, you should always be able to combine that older profile with new profiles to create a platform that makes sense to your organization at any given time.  As new profiles are introduced you should be able to add them to an existing system without having to do an upgrade of other aspects of your platform.  The platform is whatever you need it to be.  More precisely the Platform is an umbrella for a range of Profiles that are guaranteed to work together no matter what the combination.

The way to handle Java EE is to consider it a Profile rather than a platform. It's a big profile, no doubt, but a profile none the less.  Call it Jakarta EE Classic if "Legacy" is a marketing issue.  Now define a core for Jakarta EE based on Java SE and perhaps something else that will not remain stable for at least 20 years and you can start adding new profiles to the system that can work independently, with other new profiles, or in concert with the existing Classic (Java EE ) profile.