Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

In my head I separate two things:

1) a namespace change
The namespace change is the biggest deal and whichever choice we make regarding moving from javax to jakarta it needs to be done in a way that brings the existing Java EE ecosystem forward without making people choose to a) support Jakarta EE 8 or Jakarata EE 9 b) without requiring the whole world to move forward at the same speed. As stated several times a namespace change is relatively simple to handle at runtime or build time since we are just talking about updating the constant pool references, However I don’t think we can say “this is a vendor decision” of course supporting Jakarta EE 8 or Jakarta EE 9 in an individual runtime is a choice an implementation should be free to make, but I think the Jakarta EE community at Eclipse needs to look at making the developer migration experience virtually free for a namespace perspective (I’d prefer free, but I’m a realist). I wrote more detailed thoughts up on a blog post here: https://openliberty.io/blog/2019/05/08/jakarta-ee-naming.html but essentially I think we need to support mixing and matching Java EE and Jakarta EE at build time in a consistent way to remove barriers that make the Jakarta EE community smaller than the Java EE one.

2) Behaviour changes, removing methods etc
There has always been an element of this in moving from one Java EE level to another. I don’t think we should be doing anything that will prevent older Java EE apps forward. I speak regularly to people who have 15 year old Java EE applications and they are going to want to be able to continue running those in future and while we can support that with Liberty because we already support Java EE 7 & 8, I think the people who own those applications will need and want a future for them.

Of course I’m involved in implementing these things, so my view may be skewed somewhat by that, but I think the need for a frictionless move from Java EE to Jakarta EE is critical.

Thanks
Alasdair