Re: [jakartaee-platform-dev] Transitioning Jakarta EE to the jakarta namespace

From the user perspective, I think it is more a problem on the engineering side than in the user side. For example...

On Mon, May 6, 2019 at 10:33 PM David Blevins <dblevins@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

The primary place they differ is:

 - do we break compatibility bit by bit over time in an as-needed basis

In this case, you spend less time on migration and more time on innovation.

 - do we break compatibility in one shot and get it over with

In this case, you spend more time on migration and less time on innovation.

The primary question here is as a user how do you want to deal with migrating and potential compatibility issues:

 - bit by bit over time
 - in one shot

I can change my import statements in no time, but what about my compiled dependencies? Some of them not open source?

Knowing neither path frees you from having to absorb a backwards incompatible change and the solutions would be the same, which timeline is your preferred?

I think Jakarta EE is in desperate need of innovation to be able to catch up with competition. You guys could invest in modularity for Jakarta EE 9 and eliminate the concept of micro and full profile, letting the user define his/her own profile.

--
Hildeberto Mendonça, Ph.D
Blog: http://www.hildeberto.com

Back to the top