[jakartaee-examples-dev] How to contribute sample code

Hi to the Jakarta EE examples list and Tanja & Ivar,

By way of introduction let me tell you what I have been up to and why I’m on this mailing list. I have been a Computer Science instructor at Dawson College in Montreal for 32 years, 21 of which I was the department chairperson. I am a Java Champion and this past November I was elected to the Java Community Project Executive Committee. As a bit of icing I am also the Vice President of the Jakarta EE Ambassadors while it formalizes it’s organization. I am also the organizer of DawsCon, Montreal’s free one day software conference coming up on January 8, 2021. You can see this past January’s lineup at https://www.dawsoncollege.qc.ca/dawscon/.

From when we moved from COBOL to Java in 2002 at Dawson I have been giving the two project courses, one for desktop and the other for EE. Dawson’s program is about hands-on training, we don’t have a course in compiler design, for example. This term I am leading the graduating class in a team based e-commerce project using only Jakarta EE 8 plus some JSF/CSS libraries.

I have prepared numerous basic examples of EE coding over the years. They are on GitLab rather than GitHub because of GitLab’s free private repos. I know GitHub can provide private repos to students but that will require me to administer. I’m too lazy so I use GitLab. My samples are all available in public repos at https://gitlab.com/omniprof

I’d like to spruce up and contribute my sample code to this project. Looking at this mailing list archives it appears that the last message on this list was in May 2019. Is this correct? My involvement with the JCP and the Ambassadors is to improve Java in Education and Java Education. I don’t see myself contributing to Jakarta code but I’d like to contribute to samples that can be of use to developers.

I hope there is still someone on this list and that you are safe and secure in those exceptional times.

Ken Fogel
@omniprof

Back to the top