[jakarta.ee-wg] Minutes from September 18 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Minutes from September 18 Jakarta EE Steering Committee Meeting

Attendees:

Fujitsu: Kenji Kazumura, Mike Denicola
IBM: Dan Bandera
Oracle: Will Lyons
Payara: Not present
Red Hat: John Clingan
Tomitribe:  David Blevins, Richard Monson-Hafael
Martijn Verburg: Not present
Ivar Grimstad: Not present

Eclipse: Paul White
Review of Minutes from Prior Meeting
Minutes of Sept 11 meeting will be reviewed next week.
Budget Update
1) General reminder that Working Group Fees were approved at the Sept 11 meeting.

2) Review of budget mail sent by Paul White:
We have pulled together a draft 2019 budget.

I’m proposing we find time to discuss it this coming Tuesday (Sept 18), with an eye to approving it (assuming there is general consensus) the following Tuesday (Sept 25). Having this sorted out before the end of September would be a huge help the Foundation team with its overall budget and planning.
Comments:
- Program Manager will manage the spec process
- Have not defined TCK challenge process - needs to be defined (Spec committee A/I)
- Believe hardware requirements are covered
- Will need to provide guidelines for the role of a vendor-neutral developer advocate; "fairness" in defining demonstrating various Jakarta EE compatible implementations from multiple vendors (level playing field)
3) Is there an update on the discussion between Tomitribe and the Eclipse Foundation on the specific case of Apache TomEE ability to use the Jakarta EE brand and membership fees?  The suggestion was that the Steering Comittee could request that the Apache Software Foundation join the Jakarta EE Working Group as a "guest" member (with no annual fees).   In effect Tomitribe would be a strategic member on behalf of ASF, and would allow for TomEE to be officially certified.

This should not block budget approval.

4) The Steering Committee will vote on a budget resolution next week.

Working Group Calls
Paul White updated the group on what these calls are, what the purpose is, and to request for strong support in doing a great job on these.

Tanja has sent out a note requesting Working Group calls along with an agenda.  The goal is to engage with participant members as a group.   SC participation is requested.

The first meeting is Sept 24 11AM - 12PM EDT.

EclipseCon Europe
Paul White would like to emphasize the need for the Jakarta EE leadership to ensure we are reaching out to potential attendees.

Paul requests we reach out to community members to let them know about it and encourage attendance

Updates on Oracle contributions
https://www.eclipse.org/ee4j/status.php

In addition to the above, JAF has been pushed to public repositories along with some JAXB contributions.

Initial contributions for GlassFish and 4 more JAXB/Metro repositories have been submitted today. We plan to submit more initial contributions tomorrow and finish JAXB/WS/Metro transfer at the end of this week.

Eclipse reported that they can finish promoting Jenkins instances on Week 41 (ends Oct 14).  Dmitry has changed the GlassFish release plan accordingly (changed lines are in bold):

        Sep 21 -- All code required for GF build contributed.

        Sep 23 — Eclipse GlassFish builds.

        Oct 1 -- Java EE 8 CTS testing. We are able to run CTS tests on Eclipse GlassFish.

        Oct 22 — CI/CD release pipelines completed.

        Oct 22 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1-RC1 milestone release.

        Nov 5 — Dependencies updated. All projects are released to OSSRH and have dependencies to Eclipse version of other components.

        Nov 30 -- Release Review completed.

        Dec 14 -- Eclipse GlassFish 5.1 release. All CTS tests are passed.

Changing the groupId to ‘jakarta’ proposed by David Blevins is still not accepted by all PMC members. In general it makes sense to Oracle, but adds uncertainty to the Eclipse GlassFish release plan.  Oracle is open to this if we can get members to be more active in contributions.   We would like to discuss this.

This was approved at Spec Committee.  Dmitry would like clarification whether this should be done now or later.   Dmitry would like clarification on the PMC mailing list.   David offered to clarify on the PMC alias as requested.

Discuss Building Momentum for Jakarta EE discussed in the last Steering Committee meeting (excerpts from email content in italics)

1. Release Eclipse GlassFish and certify it as Java EE 8 compatible by Oracle CodeOne / EclipseCon Europe.

Each of the EE4J projects have project leads identified.   Each of the EE4J projects needs to be released and a task in the project’s issue tracker has been opened to track this activity.   For example, see: https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/servlet-api/issues/195

We would welcome project leads, or other committers, to take the initiative to:
•    Review the release documents and prepare to release these projects, or recruit and encourage other community members to do so, and..
•    Update the appropriate Jira issues reflecting your plans
•    Let Ed and Dmitry know if you will take on responsibility for releasing the project in question

There has been some response on this recently and we'd like to continue the momentum.   Dmitry has created a Google spreadsheet for tracking progress:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1e8inaprMOjnq04hU2o76egHhC8AF3-vNvqjRq6GR0eM/edit#gid=0

Any updates on participation and the webinar?

Webinar delivered (40 attendees) and recording posted - believe this enabled the tasks to be completed sooner.

2. Create a roadmap for definition of a specification process by the end of the year

  Ideally we define public milestones some of which are achievable by Code One / EclipseCon Europe.

Any updates from the Steering Committee?

The goal is to have a draft process delivered to Spec Committee by Thursday and to have a draft process ready for community review by ECE/OC1.

3. Announce commitment to Working Group funding

Assuming we collectively commit to a funding model, we should communicate this externally.   We expect to make progress on this topic in the next Steering Committee meeting.

Any updates from the Marketing Committee on how much to promote?

Request/plan is to publish blog(s) covering the messaging topics at ECE/OC1.  Will make hard request next week.

Will have a BOF at ECE.

Feeling of group was that May of next year would be too soon for physical JakartaOne conference.

4. Demonstrate successful execution of the contributed TCKs

Java EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish will be based on existing Oracle TCK binaries.

We would like affirmation from this group that Jakarta EE 8 certification of Eclipse GlassFish, including demonstration of successful execution of the contributed TCKs, remains a shared goal.   Oracle will drive this overall effort, but requests that project leads, with contribution from other Working Group members and other community members, take ownership for driving successful execution of the contributed TCKs in their area.

Per prior meeting, this remains a shared goal of this group.  Progress on this is possible by Code One/ECE but not likely?  Our messaging should not rely on this.

5. Define distributed ownership of Jakarta EE technology areas and directions

Oracle regards ownership of technology areas as a shared responsibility going forward, not as an Oracle driven activity as in Java EE.   We would like to drive a process where we move from the Oracle-driven project leadership model that we have today to a model where project leadership is more distributed across the Working Group and the community, and where project leads define directions for individual projects.

We propose scheduling a meeting in September to review the project list and more clearly demonstrate distributed project ownership and project direction, with the intent to publish for the community by Code One.  As part of this effort recommend identifying those technologies that we expect to invest in and evolve, and those we do not plan to invest in.

This is related to item #1.

6. Commit to Code One/ECE messaging

    https://docs.google.com/document/d/1_Bgh5rP1qKJdATlQ5ZC-ceJ9AFvHq8lq8_xFrarnlH0/edit

Notes from Discussion:

This document will need to be updated regarding the GlassFish contribution schedule.

I think we should add a message regarding funding commitments.

Need to discuss what can be said about the specification process.

The Steering Committee requested that David initiate a community discussion on Jakarta EE technology directions, starting with jakarta.ee-wg@xxxxxxxxxxx, and the PMC list, and leads (David requested list of lead names) and report back at next Steering Committee meeting.

Code One/ECE presence (not discussed)
Would like to discuss in detail next week.    Are certain Code One talks open for "panel" discussion?
Legal Documents (discussed briefly)
Oracle Legal is working on the TM license agreement. We have requested a date for a draft.
Eclipse Foundation would like to discuss JakartaOne  (discussed briefly)
Target May/June 2019 timeframe.  Will discuss at the next meeting.
Marketing Committee Update (see related comments above)

PMC Update
(see related comments above)

Recruitment of new members; Elections (not discussed)
Open issue - will there be an additional PMC representative on the Steering Committee.
Planned Jakarta EE certifications (not discussed
What other app servers, besides GlassFish can we expect on Jakarta EE 8 - get input from Steering Committee.
         Wildfly - name clarification needed from RedHat ?
         IBM Liberty
         Fujitsu
         Payara - ?
         Weblogic - ?