Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [Ballot] Optional Features Resolution

-1

I agree with what David wrote here and also think optionality (or whatever other words are used in those cases) helps even for new specs or features to provide flexibility to implementors, e.g. being able to support REST/MVC or the Servlet/JSP/JSF stack just to repeat one example of many.

Werner

Von: David Blevins
Gesendet: Mittwoch, 4. August 2021 21:21
An: Jakarta specification discussions
Betreff: Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [Ballot] Optional Features Resolution

-1 (Tomitribe)

We would also be in favor of a resolution that strongly discourages new optional features.  The most likely outcome of this resolution would be that the same optional behavior will still occur, just now called profiles instead of features.  The EJB spec for example has 3 optional groups.  In future specs we can expect these to simply become optional profiles, an inevitable explosion of profiles and no real change in behavior.

We do think there is good reason to have some flexibility to implementors, whether it be called an optional feature or optional profile.  Optionality (feature or profile) is useful for introducing innovative new ideas that might not initially gain 100% support from all implementations.   Optionality (feature or profile) is useful for deprecating old functionality to make room for new implementations.

We are completely on the same page that in our current state is there is far too much optional behavior and we do not want to see more without some very good reasons.  Rather than ban one form of optional behavior (feature) and leave others open and unchecked (profile), we'd prefer a resolution whereby specification projects must seek approval for any optional behavior (feature or profile) in either a Plan Review or a Progress Review.  We think this would create a needed dialog with spec projects, force us to deal with the implications of our desires for no optional behavior and allow us to learn lessons and adjust course.

Assuming this resolution passes, a possible amendment could be:

RESOLUTION: The Jakarta EE Specification Committee resolves that no new optional features or profiles may be added in Jakarta EE 10 and beyond in component, Platform, or Profile specifications without prior approval via a Plan Review or Progress Review.

--

David Blevins

http://twitter.com/dblevins
http://www.tomitribe.com