Re: [jakarta.ee-spec] [External] : Re: Updating spec pages (was: Fwd: [jakartaee/specifications] Nosql Status update (#333))

--
David Blevins
http://twitter.com/dblevins

On Apr 8, 2021, at 4:35 PM, Ed Bratt <ed.bratt@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I agree that keeping the Spec. pages up to date is useful. I didn't think there were specific compatibility criteria for anything other than a final release but maybe I'm missing something.

I don't know how compatibility factors.  I was highlighting potential patent concerns the JESP addresses through Public Reviews.

That said, if the consensus is, that this is a problem with making updates to these pages, perhaps the Spec. pages just indicate that work is proceeding and the project can publish details as needed on a separate site -- for example, GH Pages.

The advantage to GH Pages is that the project team has complete control over these and may update them as they feel necessary.

If we were to agree with this, the Spec. page could list summary abstract data and have a reference pointer to where the "latest and greatest" details are located.

I do think having GH pages for all specs is very important and there's a proposal I've been meaning to make in that regard.

It doesn't address the key point that we do want projects to be engaging in Progress Reviews so we can get patent commitments early.

-David

Back to the top