Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Fwd: [eclipse.org-members-committers] Reminder: Committer and Member Town Hall

Personally, I do not think cross-posting should be encouraged, so I won't repeat my complete response here, other than to say that there is zero cause for concern. Anyone who is interested in the complete response can see it over on the MP list at https://groups.google.com/g/microprofile/c/i3qT0Me3D1Q/m/Ry08WhknAQAJ

For those who are interested, the town hall video is available at: https://youtu.be/ucKo_GI3nYI

Thanks.

On 2020-08-26 7:39 p.m., Werner Keil wrote:
Sorry but this sounds more like some weird conspiracy theory.

What the move to Belgium seems to make easier is not being at risk of rogue measures by the US government and president because of members from China.
Whether it's Tik Tok, Huawei (also a strategic Eclipse Foundation Member) or other Trump vendettas against China which may well affect e.g. Jakarta EE vendors like Primeton or Kingdee and say force Oracle to take over their US business, just like we see with Tik Tok right now.

The EU also goes against IT companies but I am not aware that it would be for protectionist reasons or private gain of any European politician.

The US is far behind Europe on Data Privacy with regulations like the GDPR, so Eclipse Foundation and its members are better protected than in the US where infrastructure like servers also moves to Europe.

I am not familiar with US bills from the time of Al Capone, but even if the Presidential Election might change something in the US next year the benefits of better Data Privacy and no longer being under the knout of the US government sounds like a win-win situation also for Eclipse members compared to the theoretical threat of Eclipse Foundation suddenly establishing industrial operations like making chewing gum ;-)

Werner