Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [jakartaee-ambassadors] Re: Jakarta EE Backlog -> Guide to Jakarta EE 10

Hi,

On Sat, Jun 27, 2020 at 6:33 PM reza_rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
In general honestly I agree. One of the key reasons Jakarta EE still remains relevant despite all its challenges is because it has always made an effort to try to empower a broader ecosystem where it can. The bellwether for me is the likelihood of Spring users integrating the API. If that likelihood is high, we should try to avoid making CDI a hard requirement.

I'm not sure, don't Spring users have Spring MVC?

Why not continue to support @Context as a fallback to CDI in environments where CDI is not available?

I wonder if some of these environments actually use Jakarta REST, or whether they don't just use Jersey? I might be mistaken, but I think DropWizard falls more into the Jersey category.

Also, the problem I'm seeing is that environments that didn't have JAX-RS available, made JAX-RS available by adding (say) Jersey. Likewise, JAX-RS uses bean validation, so environments that didn't have that available added bean validation. Internally, Jersey uses HK2. Again, environments that didn't have HK2 available (which I dare assume to say is most of them) added HK2.

As far as I know, it hasn't been common to ask for Jersey not using HK2 anymore and provide a fallback for (say) Spring.

I'm curious why then CDI (say Weld) is so much different? Is there actually a technical reason for this, or is something else?

Kind regards,
Arjan Tijms

Reza Rahman