Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [jakartaee-ambassadors] Re: Jakarta EE Backlog -> Guide to Jakarta EE 10

> Is JAX-RS going to require CDI? I'm not sure that's a good idea. Some frameworks use those annotations without any DI.

Yes, the plan is for JAX-RS to require CDI.  See https://github.com/eclipse-ee4j/jaxrs-api/wiki/Roadmap

JAX-RS 3.1 - PLANNED - (Q2 or Q3 2020) - Java SE Bootstrap API. Deprecating @Context: Implementors MUST provide CDI; applications MAY use CDI....
and
JAX-RS 4.0 - PLANNED (2021) - Removing @Context: Applications MUST use CDI

Can you elaborate on the drawbacks to using CDI?  The footprint (in general) should not increase since JAX-RS has its own DI framework - it's this framework that causes conflicts and increased footprint in environments where both JAX-RS and CDI are used.  By removing JAX-RS's DI framework and delegating injection to CDI, this should reduce footprint and complexity - both for vendors and users.

Thanks,

Andy