From: Ondro Mihályi <ondrej.mihalyi@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: 4/3/20 4:14 AM (GMT-05:00)
To: Reza Rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx>
Cc: Jakarta EE Ambassadors <jakartaee-ambassadors@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [jakartaee-ambassadors] Fwd: Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Fork Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration as Jakarta Configuration.

Hi all, I really appreciate all the opinions expressed here. But, since this is a Jakarta EE discussion, I strongly urge everybody to remove their MicroProfile hat and look at things from the Jakarta EE perspective. I had expressed my opinions as a MicroProfiler on the MP mailing list, we voted, and chose to go with the Pull model, regardless of what the Jakarta EE community thought about it. But I feel that MP doesn't have any right to dictate how Jakarta EE should consume their specs. Therefore I'm writing with my Jakarta EE hat on now.

The pull model and the premise of frequent breaking changes makes it impossible for Jakarta EE to consume MP specs without a change. JEE specs might define an optional behavior if the container also supports MP but can't rely on anything from MP. That's a fact, it doesn't help to encourage Jakarta EE to depend on "mature" MP specs or any LTS releases. Will MP maintain such LTS releases and evolve them without breaking changes? No, there's no prospect of that. So there can't be any LTS releases of MP. If JEE needs to evolve such LTS release, it would need to fork them anyway.

If both MP and JEE communities want to have a common config spec, the only way with the MP pull model is to transfer whole Config spec to Jakarta EE and deprecate MP Config in favor of Jakarta Config. MP would lose the momentum in the Config spec but it's the only sensible way I see to unify config in both MP and JEE. MP Config spec is mature enough for that and Jakarta Config can provide enough extension points to continue innovation via extensions within MP.

For other specs, I see no problem to have an MP variant that moves fast, and a Jakarta variant that is stable and undergoes the JEE specification process. With different namespaces to avoid conflicts. But this can only happen if enough people would be interested to put effort to it.

Ondro

pi 3. 4. 2020 o 1:02 Reza Rahman <reza_rahman@xxxxxxxxx> napísal(a):

May I kindly ask that folks here - especially folks in leadership - give some of this some thought and express their own genuine opinions on the Jakarta EE community alias?

I understand that for some folks this might seem repetitive. Let me share from my experience of years of multi-lateral collaboration in the JCP - some times repeating yourself patiently, consistently and persistently is the way to make the right thing happen finally.

Reza Rahman