Re: [jakarta.ee-community] [microprofile] FEEDBACK FOR ALL OF US Re: [jakartaee-spec-project-leads] Jakarta NoSQL and Eclipse MicroProfile Configuration

Thanks Mike, to be honest I didn't expect a reply to the question :). It's absolutely great you provided it. That definitely clarifies things.

On Mon, Sep 23, 2019 at 7:24 PM Mike Milinkovich <mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 2019-09-23 11:29 a.m., Guillermo González de Agüero wrote:
- Is is acceptable for Jakarta EE to depend on MP specs?

Ultimately this is a decision of the Jakarta EE Steering Committee. But purely from a legal analysis the answer is no. It is not acceptable for a Jakarta EE specification to depend upon or include by reference one or more MicroProfile specifications. Of course, an implementation of a Jakarta EE spec could choose to do so, but I am pretty sure you're asking about specs.

The licensing and IP regimes are very different between Jakarta EE and MicroProfile. We cannot see a legal way that a Jakarta EE specification could be made available under the Eclipse Foundation Specification License, including complying with the patent requirements of the Eclipse Foundation IP Policy, while relying upon MicroProfile specs. In addition to IP concerns, MicroProfile specs are explicitly allowed to make breaking changes while Jakarta EE specs are not.

I hope a clear answer to that specific question is helpful to this discussion.

--

Mike Milinkovich

Executive Director | Eclipse Foundation, Inc.

mike.milinkovich@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

@mmilinkov

+1.613.220.3223 (m)

Back to the top