Re: [jakarta.ee-community] JAX-RS 2.1.1 Available On Maven Central

There are often products or projects that inspired or shaped standards.  Mike probably knows best himself, because at the time I heard he also was still closer to the code when TopLink and Hibernate both played important roles in shaping JPA.

Others like Batch got largely inspired by Spring Batch. The Unit standard took a while, but there 3 generations of "code first" projects paved the ground from UCAR Units to JScience and Uom.org (also implemented at Eclipse, an Independent Implementation of JSR 363 also done there)

JCache is an example where the standard can only be seen as the  the smallest common denominator. And plenty of vendors first and foremost Hazelcast who drove the standard benefit from different proprietary features of various products. They (at least Red Hat, IBM and then driving company behind JCache Software AG) could not agree on a new standard that may have worked like CDI does on top of JSR 330, so 347 failed and had to be withdrawn.

With all due respect for what Ivar and others took over from Oracle it remains to be seen, if JSR 371 (MVC) ever gets adopted by the de-facto-standard in this space Spring MVC, well maybe once at Jakarta EE Spring 10 or 12 might do...?

There are plenty of examples outside the Jakarta and Java EE space, Eclipse IDE probably one of the most widely adopted.
Numerous desktop apps from minimalist Lotus/IBM SameTime (just a few MB) to gigantic near TB size products like Rational Architect and many others which extend the core with tons of features only found there.

Werner