Re: [jakarta.ee-community] About Profiles / Servlet API

I'd like to extend this idea by a new API for the UDP/TCP/SCTP layer: It might be useful to build the HTTP API layer (= former Servlet API) ontop of a new UDP/TCP/SCTP API layer which allows Servlet engines to replace the underlying transport technology easily. That API could wrap micro-servers dealing solely with data packets instead of application protocols. So not only HTTP would run ontop of that, but also AMQP or MQTT or even FTP. The bean driven by such a system would be a "Stream-let" or "Protocol-let" for example. So re-implementing the Servlet API would mean to write a "HttpProtocolLet", AMQP would use an "AmqpProtocolLet" etc. In the IoT-Environment this could be beneficial, and it would simply re-use the technical platform already existing e. g. in Grizzly.

-Markus

From: jakarta.ee-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:jakarta.ee-community-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of arjan tijms
Sent: Montag, 21. Mai 2018 17:58
To: Jakarta EE community discussions
Subject: Re: [jakarta.ee-community] About Profiles

Hi,

On Mon, May 21, 2018 at 3:12 PM, Ondrej Mihályi <ondrej.mihalyi@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I think that James didn't mean to toss out HTTP processing but that the servlet API isn't well suited for reactive processing. The Servlet spec is also huge, comparable to EJB and could be designed and split into multiple specs. Or even obsoleted by another more modern spec in a similar way as CDI is now obsoleting much of the EJB spec.

I don't quite see the Servlet spec being deprecated / obsoleted, like EJB was.

I do like the suggestion of splitting out the Servlet spec in parts. Specifically we could potentially have a core HTTP engine (like Netty, Grizzly, and Coyote), a "bare" Servlet API layer, and something like a higher level CDI based layer (making a simpler Servlet that's a proper CDI bean).

Kind regards,

Arjan

Cheers,

Ondrej Mihályi

Senior Payara Service Engineer
Payara Server – Robust. Reliable. Supported.
E: ondrej.mihalyi@xxxxxxxxxxx | T: +1 415 523 0175 | M: +421 902 079 891

Payara Services Limited, Registered office: Unit 11, Malvern Hills Science Park, Geraldine Road, Malvern, WR14 3SZ
Registered in England and Wales: 09998946 | www.payara.fish | info@xxxxxxxxxxx |
@Payara_Fish