Re: [jakarta.ee-community] About Profiles

On 18 May 2018, at 14:40, arjan tijms <arjan.tijms@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Hi,

On Thu, May 17, 2018 at 1:46 PM, Mark Little <mlittle@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
This isn’t just about vendor choice. You are certainly not alone in being happy with the full profile option. However, there are other classes of users/developers that aren’t and these have existed since the dawn of J2EE. For example, some people want to deploy their favour app server on to constrained devices which may be running on the cloud where an additional 50MB costs real money when run for hours or days or weeks or longer.

I wonder, is there in practice any service / device where a mere 50MB of disk space makes all the difference?

You mean apart from cloud (yes, those 1 cent costs do add up, and there’s private cloud deployments of which you may be unaware and have some funky architectural choices behind them), IoT? Oh and maybe it’s not just 50MB but some modern implementations can still be a bit “plump” in some areas ;)

Some developers want to reduce the maintenance complexity or boot time of their favourite app server by stripping out those capabilities they don’t want.

For that particular issue a static configuration (such as liberty's server.xml and in limited way JBoss/WildFly's standalone.xml), and/or the aforementioned prune tool would work just as well.

And then we get into the world of portability. As a developer I want to know a priori that my app will work across app servers and I really don’t want to have to check when I do the migration. Having app server A and B both say they support and are compliant with Profile X is extremely useful.

Now you could argue that these developers could just do this themselves anyway, e.g., JBossAS has supported this kind of pruning from the start. However, if you want portability and interoperability of your apps so you’re not tied to a specific app server implementation/vendor, having standardised profiles is the right approach.

Or a standardised static config, perhaps?

And what would we call those static configs. Oh hold on, let me suggest … profiles? ;)

Kind regards,
Arjan

Mark.