Re: [jakarta.ee-community] Why not dropping EARs in Jakarta EE?

>(4) EAR files use a defined standard.

This is a bit of the issue. They are theoretically standard, but in practice not so much. Like the application client container and remote EJB, there are a couple of issues, but for years every EE release has basically ignored them.

"Fixing" EARs would be another approach instead of dropping them, but some things like how CDI should behave in an EAR are just hard. I think I've seen some discussions before, and people couldn't really agree with each other.