[iot-wg] Defining an IoT Server Platform

At EclipseCon NA 2015 a number of IoT WG members meet to discuss the definition of an open source IoT Server Platform. The general view was that a lot of the open source technology has been focused on the devices and edge but not the server and enterprise middleware.

Out of this meeting, we identified the main feature/components of an IoT Server platform:
  • Communication
  • Device Management - including persistence
  • Event Management/Rules Engine/BPM
  • User Management
  • API
  • Storage

It seems the next steps for this discussion need to be to 1) add detail to each feature/component, 2) map how this integrates and extends the existing open source middleware that exists in many server solutions, and 3) map this to cloud computing solutions. The long-term goal of this discussion would be to determine what open source technology need to be created to support an open source IoT server platform.

I have added this email to the wiki page so it can be used to expand on the details.  https://wiki.eclipse.org/IoT/IoTServerPlatform

Steffen Ever from Bosch and James Kirkland from Red Hat have both expressed an interest in helping lead this conversation forward. Benjamin has also volunteered to help with this work. I would like to suggest we setup a meeting in the next 1-2 weeks to discuss the next steps.  I will be out of the office for the next number of weeks so I won't be able to participate but I will be interested in seeing the results.

btw, the future meeting for this discussion will be only open to Eclipse IoT WG members. If your organization is not a member I'd ask that you please not participate in the meeting. You will be able to read the results on our wiki page and meeting minutes.

Thanks
Ian

--

Ian Skerrett