[incubation] Question about maven artifact groupIds

Hi,

On behalf of the Eclipse MicroProfile project, I'd like to get a clarification for maven artifact naming of our project deliverables.

The Eclipse namespace policy states that the group name must follow org.<forge>.<short-name>, where "short-name" is the short name of the project. However, it also refers to the Maven naming conventions, which allows "as many subgroups" as needed, therefore also org.<forge>.<short-name>.<subgroup> or org.<forge>.<short-name>.<subgroup>.<subsubgroup>would be allowed in this sense.

My question is:

For the MicroProfile project, is it really only allowed to use org.eclipse.microprofile as the groupId for all artifacts of our project, or also groupId with a subgroup, such as org.eclipse.microprofile.api is allowed?

If we strictly follow tine Eclipse policy, then only the first goupId would be valid. But going into the Maven conventions referred in the policy, the second groupId would be valid true, is that right?

The reason I'm asking is that the MicroProject is an effort to build a set of loosely coupled APIs, for each API we want to provide more artifacts, such as test suite and example implementation. Moreover, we also want to provide example projects, that are not coupled to any particular API but to the set of MicroProfile APIs as a whole. It makes very good sense to use to separate individual API artifacts and other auxiliary artifacts to groupIds with a different subgroup suffix.

Cheers,
Ondrej

Back to the top